Three Vintage Postcards featuring Buildings.
1st postcard – Tennis Courts at Wimbledon:
The lawns at the ground were arranged so that the principal court was in the middle with the others arranged around it, hence the title ‘Centre Court’, retained when the Club moved in 1922 to the present site in Church Road, although not a true description of its location.
2nd postcard – The Ruins, Virginia Water:
Virginia Water Lake, in the south of the park, is an artificially created lake of around 1 km² dating from the 1740s. Among the lakeside features are the 100-foot (30 m) high Canadian totem pole commemorating the centenary of British Columbia and a collection of ornamental Roman ruins, transported from the site of Leptis Magna (near modern-day Tripoli) in 1816 and installed at Virginia Water in 1826.
3rd postcard – The Old City Walls, Chichester – posted in 1931:
The City of Chichester is located on the River Lavant south of its gap through the South Downs. This winterbourne often dries up during the summer months, and for part of its course runs through the city in underground culverts. The City’s site made it an ideal place for settlement, with many ancient routeways converging here. The oldest section lies within the Medieval walls of the city, which are built on Roman foundations.